Friday, October 15, 2010

Life on the Farm

This post was written within the first week of September.  Sorry it is just being posted now.


September, 7, 2010

So while I have been here on the farm for a week and a half, questions of weather we discerned well have abated, replacing them are questions of how to care for our family as we re-form life in a new place.  With the arrival of Jodie and Synova last week, things changed dramatically for me.  In the week we were apart, I found myself struggling to appear fine; but now, when our family is once again reunited, the routine here seems enjoyable. 

The members of the farm community have been excellent, welcoming us warmly.  The work has been pleasing, using muscles I never used as a student and creating new opportunity to engage what I have studied at Regent with life outside the books (with people, dirt, vegetables, turkeys, goats, food, and sleep).

For the next twelve months, I will be the Village Store intern.  This will essentially be managing a retail store for fair trade items (similar to Ten Thousand Villages).  I will need to create standard operating procedures for the store, including ordering new goods and monitoring outgoing merchandise.  Furthermore, I will be creating a manual of sorts, instructing everyone on the farm how to complete a sale.  There are many other duties too.  They will be presented in a haphazard way, never having their own blog post.  Instead, they will be alluded to or briefly implied in other posts.

No comments: